Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mother's Day: Real Gifts or Advertised Suggestions?



I sometimes joke, “I come from a long line of mothers.”  I’ve used it as a punch line when my kids are embarrassed by something I’ve done that is particularly mom-like. 

Amazon Associates just sent me an email with suggestions for Mother’s Day gifts.  I generally love to work with Amazon on my family fun blog -- after all, they helped me self-publish and help me promote my books. 
 
But when it comes to Mother’s Day, they so do not know me.

The ONE thing I am not going to do is link to something you can buy your mother from Amazon.  I’m not saying she wouldn’t love something.  I have a huge wish list and I, a mother, would love to get anything on it.

But the Mother’s Day gifts that belong on my family fun blog are things like
  • ·         do-it-yourself plaster cast hand-prints
  • ·         poems framed in painted popsicle sticks
  • ·         cards that shed glitter all over the rug
  • ·         hand-made-and-illustrated coupon books for hugs
  • ·         jelly-jar bud vases, filled with dandelions

I sit back and wonder why these seem like REAL Mother’s Day gifts, where all those things on my wish list don’t. 

The answer comes to me:  No one but a child would offer the above gifts, and no one but a mother would cherish them.  (I think it goes without saying that grandmothers fit into the category of mother.)
 
I come from a long line of Mothers.

No comments :

Post a Comment

What do you think?